Using MacBook Pro to install Leopard on iMac -- MBP won't boot from Leopard DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by karenajane, Feb 24, 2010.

1. karenajane macrumors newbie

I have:

-one iMac with cracked screen -- currently being used via dual monitor setup

-one new MacBook Pro (running Snow Leopard)

-a legitimate, family pack DVD for Leopard

I want to:

-reformat the iMac and install Leopard on the iMac via Target Mode/firewire using the DVD drive on my MBP

However, when I try to boot the MBP from the Leopard DVD, nothing happens.

I know this is kind of a mess, but it's the only viable solution I have been able to come up with. I can't install Leopard on the iMac from the Leopard DVD because I can't see the screen (due to the huge crack on my iMac) and it does not show up on the extra monitor.

Is there a way to safely force the MBP to boot from the Leopard install DVD?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did the MBP come with Snow Leopard (10.6)?

If so, you can't boot from a Leopard DVD (10.5), as no Mac (since Mac OS X at least) does allow a system to be installed prior to the one it came with. So no 10.5 on a machine that came with 10.6, thus you cannot boot from a 10.5 installation DVD.

You can either get Mac OS X 10.6 (25€) or try to use your gray restore DVDs for your MBP to install Snow Leopard on the iMac, then run a systems update on the iMac to get all the proper drivers for your iMac.

3. karenajane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. :)

Yes, the MBP came with Snow Leopard installed on it.

I would just purchase a stand-alone Snow Leopard upgrade, but the iMac is still running Tiger...and I can't upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard in one fell swoop. I would still have to somehow upgrade the iMac to Leopard *first*...and then Snow Leopard, right?

I appreciate your help!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD does not really care about the system that is on the Mac right now.

You can upgrade to SL via the 25€ upgrade DVD from Tiger.
    It is just not really "legal" according to the EULA of SL.

That's what the Mac Box Set is for.

Why don't you make a backup of the contents of your iMac's HDD to another external HDD via your MBP (the iMac being in Target Disk Mode) with Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper?
    Then use the SL Upgrade DVD to make a clean installation, meaning formatting the iMac's HDD and then install a fresh OS.
    After that you can use the Migration Assistant to copy your Applications and user data back to the iMac.
    But beware that some applications might not be compatible with SL.

5. karenajane thread starter macrumors newbie

On a wing and a prayer, I installed Snow Leopard from the DVD that came with my MBP....and it worked!! Thanks for your help!! I had no idea that it didn't matter which OS was on the iMac...thanks again!!