using macbook pro with external monitor as desktop - battery query

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinek, Apr 15, 2011.

1. cinek macrumors 6502

I'm planning to use my macbook pro (2011) mostly as a desktop pc - I have it connected to a external monitor etc - but I'm worried that the battery will die faster as it'll be connected to the mains all the time. - is this the case? If so, is there anything I can do about it, other then unplugging the charger and letting it run just on batter power from time to time?

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Shouldn't cause any problems at all. Your battery will last longer because you will only occasionally be using charging cycles. It is probably best to run from battery only from time to time.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I don't really have an answer but I do this, ever since I got my iPad, first and second generation, I never really took my MacBook Pro anywhere with me. I leave it at home always plugged it. I do take it some places when I have to but when I do I have seen the battery not last nearly as long as before. I have a June 2009 17-inch MacBook Pro, got my first iPad April 3, 2010. I bet my MacBook Pro battery lasts about 2-3 hours now. I have tried just unplugging it before but sometimes I'd forget to plug it back in and it would die while I was away.

4. cinek thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys

this is exactly what I'm worried about

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

If you plan on doing clamshell mode (laptop closed, only using the external monitor), you have to have it plugged in. I did this for about a year and my macbook battery (battery is only a year old) shows about 40 cycles, but the apple tests (took it in to get replaced because it was bulging) said that the battery had unhealthy cycle use and wouldn't replace it under warranty. The battery life is alright, but it shuts off at about 20% after 3 hours of use.

6. cinek thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To maximize your battery life, it needs to be used regularly. If you're running in clamshell most of the time, be sure to unplug and run on battery for a few hours every few days. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: