Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sussman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Colorado
Hi, I remember hearing somewhere that you can connect a macbook to the internet via DSL/Cable through a hard line and then broadcast a wireless signal that other computers, mac or pc, can connect to. If any one knows how to do this, or even if you can, I would greatly appreciate help. :apple:

Thanks in advance

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Ethernet cable in macbook. Go to System preferences --> Sharing --> Internet --> check Ethernet --> Now it should work.

Let us know how it works out, since I have experienced a bug in the Intel Mini that prohibits Internet Sharing through ethernet. Would be interesting to see if it works with the macbook.

oneofus

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
It works!

Ethernet cable in macbook. Go to System preferences --> Sharing --> Internet --> check Ethernet --> Now it should work.

Let us know how it works out, since I have experienced a bug in the Intel Mini that prohibits Internet Sharing through ethernet. Would be interesting to see if it works with the macbook.

I just set it up with my Intel Macbook. One change: you should go to System preferences etc as above, but the final step is to check Airport, not Ethernet.

Then open the airport drop down menu from the menu bar icon at the top right of your screen. Turn airport on and choose "create new network". Name your network and create a wep key if you want to encript the network. The airport icon in the menu bar should now have an up arrow, indicating it is transmitting as a base station.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I know this works on my mom's iMac G5: she does not have a wireless router but when her computer is turned on like this, we get wireless at her house for laptops.

BUT here is the bigger question...

Can a very poor friend of mine get wireless in her house off an iMac G3 that has a built in old time Airport card? They can't afford a wireless router.

I'm wondering...

Does anyone know?

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
TY guys so much, I only have ethernet at my work, but sometimes would like to be able to get online using my ipod touch (I roam around a lot at work, kind of hard to carry and use macbook), this is exactly what I was looking to do but didn't know it was possible, again TY guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.