Using Machine Specific Leopard Install Disk on PPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by n0cus, Oct 27, 2014.

1. n0cus macrumors 6502

Hey PPCers,

I have been thinking about making the upgrade to Leopard from Tiger, but I do not want to spend $50 on the the retail copy. I believe that I recall that the all wise Intell said it was possible as the machine specific disks contain PPC code. Would it be possible for someone to explain further how exactly this is accomplished.

Thank you everyone!

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Won't work. No PPC ever shipped with Leopard, all the machine specific media is Intel only.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All Leopard discs are universal. From the ones that shipped with Mac Pros to the ones that shipped with the MacBook Air, they all contain both PowerPC and Intell code.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Fair enough, I'll have to try my Mac mini media on the PowerBook G4 then for a challenge!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The disk would need to be modified or installed over Target Disk Mode from the Mini. However, one must be sure to properly format the drive using APM if using the Target Disk Mode method.

6. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

I would I assume I can modify the disk the same way as poiihy mentioned above?

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. There are many written guides available on Google too if you need help.

8. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks for your help!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back if you need any help. I may end up doing this to a Leopard disk I have for an aluminum iMac.

10. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

If anyone knows of The iBook Guy (David) on youtube, he posted a video on how to modify the installer disks that is quite helpful. Go and take a look at it and see if it helps at all!

11. n0cus thread starter macrumors 6502

Poiihy posted the video's link above. I probably try his method. Thanks for the help!