Using MacPro & External Drive w/ Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ThirteenXIII, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Before i go ahead with a new 8-Core MacPro for my own Workstation set up.
    i wanted to run Leopard on the current 2.66Ghz MacPro i use via my work.

I have a back-up 500Gb drive that I recently purchased (WD5000AAKS) and i had a couple questions.

1) Can I run Leopard off my external FireWire Case w/ the 500Gb drive installed?

2) I want to give Leopard a few weeks to test on this MacPro to see how it runs and utilizes the system. and afterwards format it clean for a future Clone drive.
    Will Installing leopard then formatting it to a GUID/OSX Clone drive or maybe for my windows a NTFS formatted drive..will that make my drive go corrupt/fail or otherwise go bad with the amount of formatting in under say 3weeks?

thanks!!

2. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Running External Boot Drive with Leopard

I'm currently running Leopard on an external OWC 2 drive RAID0 Mercury Elite Pro via 400FW. I've got a MP 2.66 on the way and plan to run it off this same external RAID0, but using the FW800 port. When I get the money for some new drives I am planning to migrate the data from the external to the new internally mounted drives in the MP 2.66.

I'm hoping the external will work with the MP 2.66 even though I set it up on an MBP 2.16. Wish me luck. I'll let you know.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im afraid to say it wont work between different computers. if you had exactly the same model/make it could maybe work. its because each computer has different drivers and when you install OSX it will only install the drivers that are needed for that computer. sorry

however running an OS from an ext HD is a pretty good option, there is a slight slowdown, because it has to travel just that bit further and not as fast, but its not that much of a difference. if you were going to use a USB2.0 hard drive it would be quite slow, fw 800 would be great, fw 400 is pretty reliable/fast aswell (i boot tiger server off my ext fw400 and dont experience any slow down)

goodluck!

4. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like I need to use Migration Assistant to move the external drive's User Account with applications and data to the stock, internal 250 GB. Then perhaps set up the RAID0 on the external using the MP. Do you think this would work?

I forgot to add I do have it all backed up via Time Machine on a second external HD that happens to be a USB drive.

If it would I could bide my time until I could afford additional drives in the MP. From what I read the stock 250GB is noisy and slower than current offerings, not to mention I'd like larger capacity.

5. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all.

I recently purchased an ICY DOCK FW400 enclosure and put a WD5000AAKS drive in there.

there shouldnt be a problem with loading Leopard on this harddrive then after a few weeks do a format of the drive once my new Leopard MacPro arrives to use as a storage disk for that comp?

i mean so far the drive hasnt had any issues just got it on last Wednesday!

thanks again!! =)