Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I was about to get a MagSafe charger for my desk for iPhone 13 Pro. Also i was interested in the MagSafe battery pack. Then i had an idea after reading some customer reviews… Since the MagSafe battery pack can be plugged into a lightning cable, i could essentially leave it plugged in 24/7 at my desk as a stationary QI charger/MagSafe charger, and then when i go out i would just unplug the magsafe battery pack and take both the pack and the phone with me. And when i am at home, it would stay plugged in at the desk and function as a regular wireless charger for AirPods/iphone. Would this work? And i am concerned would leaving it plugged in all the time damage the internal battery of the MagSafe battery pack?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes, it would work. And yes, it would damage the battery pack over several months. Li-ion doesn't like being charged to 100% and staying there.

Reactions: FreakinEurekan

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
^ That
The battery pack is a Lithium ion battery. Keeping it plugged in all the time - especially with pass through charging, will age it rapidly.
While your idea will work- it will wear out the battery pack quickly

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Not a good idea. The MagSafe battery pack recharges the device at a much reduced rate than the MagSafe wireless puck.

It’s a great thing to have around with you though. I take a MagSafe battery pack when I go to work or whenever I expect to be out for most of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.