Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akcasoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to configure my mail with Gmail's pop3 and just to send mails from that account, not to receive any mails?

Regards,

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I think there is not any option like that. check it here http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7569/screenshot20100622at557.png

i want to enable pop actually, just to send not to receive anything to mail app.

What do you mean send but not receive? Changing gmail's pop3 and imap settings apply to allowing a client like Mail or Thunderbird to grab messages from gmail. Are you using Mobile Me? If you use Mobile Me and try to send mail as your gmail email address from Apple's server, it will refuse. You will have to log in to google's smtp server to send mail as your gmail address.

But I still don't understand what you mean in your original post. POP3 is never for sending mail. It is for receiving mail. SMTP is for sending mail. Can you clarify what you mean by send but not receive in your first post? If you mean you want to prevent messages from getting downloaded to mail.app, you take care of that on your Mac by disabling checking mail for that account.

akcasoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
and i am asking to AVOID TO GET THE MAILS, just use that pop service to send the mails

Morisato

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
LoL... what's with all the confusion? OP is asking to send mail but would not like to receive any.

Yes it's possible.

Simply set up mail like normal but set it to not check for mail automatically. As long as it never checks, you'll never get mail and can still send out mail like normal.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yep. OP, just to make it even more clear, this is what you’re looking for:
content

Also, if you don’t put in the password when it asks, if it ever does try to check (which I think it still will if you manually check for new mail using the “Get New Mail” button or menu command), it will have to ask for the password and you can just hit cancel.

jW

alienapp

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2010
Hi akcasoy,

Here what you need to do.
1)Open Mail and go to preferences.
2)Click on the account your dont want to receive emails from.
3)Replace the incoming server with anything like a single alphabet or number.

And your done.

akcasoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
this was the answer! I tried it but i must left the field blank, that is why it was not accepted.
Thnx!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.