Using Mail with an Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stanw, Oct 8, 2008.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

What settings needs to be changed on an Exchange Server that will enable me to download my email through Mail? Other people have told me they are able to download their mail on their iPhones, though when using the same settings it does not work with Mail.

Thanks.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If your Exchange server doesn't have IMAP enabled, you'll need to use Microsoft Entourage to access your Exchange account. If you have either the Standard Edition or Special Media Edition of Office 2008, you already have everything that you need. If you only have Home and Student Edition, it doesn't include Exchange support, so you'll need to get one of the other two editions.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is simply not true. I used Mail on my Exchange server three years ago. The OP must understand that Exchange is not a fixed target. Every implementation is different. In my case, Mail worked with Exchange better than Entourage 2004 while it lasted. My firm upgraded its server, thus ending my ability to use Mail. My suggestion to the OP is to work with his IT staff to ensure that his Exchange server is configured to allow access by Mail and/or Entourage.

5. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does it mean to make sure that the Exchange server is configured to allow access by Mail? What specific info should I take to the IT people?

Thanks everyone for your responses!

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Nope: [​IMG]

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Outlook auto discovers your firm's Exchange server addresses and settings. Mail cannot do this. I have been informed that Entourage 2008 auto discovers Exchange, but Entourage 2004 does not. For Mail and Entourage 2004, you must enter everything manually. You should ask IT how for the proper server addresses and settings to access Exchange via Mail.

On its Exchange website, Microsoft lists the some of the Exchange features that must be enabled for Mail and Entourage to work. However, you cannot expect to get very far by telling IT how to do its job. Before contacting IT, however, do what I do. Go through a working installation of Outlook on a Windows computer. Write down all server addresses. Use the Exchange setup wizard in Mail to type-in the settings you wrote down. If this does not work, then go to IT but be very nice.