Using Maps app now illegal while driving in California?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by firewood, Apr 6, 2013.

1. firewood macrumors 604

Report on a recent on a court ruling
    http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20130405/02103822591/california-court-rules-it-illegal-to-check-maps-your-phone-while-driving.shtml?_format=full

How well can maps current location tracking & lookup be done just using Siri?

2. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

It only says actually using the application while driving is wrong. Nothing about setting up on your dash and driving (like a traditional GPS).

I don't see why anybody would use a navigation app any other way. If you need to make a change, pull over.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If somehow one's mistake can't harm others I say no law, let the stupid ones go the Darwin's way.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

funny.....I was in California just this week and had a CHP motorbike next to me at a light while I tapped in my destination. Didn't even flinch. Won't change my behavior in the slightest. Back again for a couple more weeks too.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Well yeah, it's a smart law because it doesn't make it a crime to use your phone as a GPS, it makes it a crime to be interacting (i.e. setting directions, searching, etc.) while you are driving. I mean really you shouldn't be interacting with a phone (or any portable electronics) while driving. You can set the destination before you pull away. If you need to look something up, PULL OVER. It's just as dangerous as texting and driving. Haven't you seen the AT&T commercials?

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

At a light (whilst still illegal) most likely wont bother them.

What this is trying to prevent is people fiddling with it at 70mph.

7. maricc macrumors regular

Can you not see how fiddling with your phone while driving can hurt others?

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

wait, what?

Because it's not like they could hit a completely innocent and safe person and kill them....:rolleyes:

9. typeadam macrumors regular

typeadam

I haven't read the article but I'd wager that having it set up like a regular nav unit on your dash is fine. As long as you're not interacting w/ it..

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

likely. however, I don't find messing with it while driving any different than the built in one that's in my car. if anything it's easier to do.