Using Markers in DVDSP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tmmccaff, Jan 20, 2010.

1. tmmccaff macrumors newbie

two questions here
    1) Is it better to use markers in DVDStudioPro or generate them in FinalCutPro first?
    2) I have a DVDSP marker setup such that the menu allows the viewer to view clip A only or clip B only or clip C only. This is done by providing a start marker that ends when it reaches the next marker. Easy. Now the question is how do I add another button that allows the viewer to view from A right thru to C? As it stands now it always stops at the next marker..... The sequence DVDSP is reading from is a large single .m2v clip

Any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Tom

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1. In FCP, you can lay out markers more accurately than you can in DVDSP. This has to do with the fact that after the video is encoded to MPEG-2 (presumably using Compressor) prior to dropping into DVDSP, the video is now in a GOP structure and you can only place markers at I-frames. Therefore, you may not be able to place a marker at the exact frame you want. If you need pinpoint accuracy, I would suggest setting the markers in FCP first and encoding with DVDSP metadata intact prior to bringing it into DVDSP.

2. You can achieve what you want to do by using Stories in DVDSP. Basically, Stories allow you take a track and play certain portions of it based on marker locations. Ken Stone has a good tutorial on this.

3. tmmccaff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Captain

This is very close to what I was looking for. I didn't know about stories so I will try this solution and hopefully it will work. The link you sent is excellent! I really do appreciate your response - excellent Job!!!

Thanks again and again.......

Tom

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

You are a legend. Thanks - that's just what I needed.:)

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk