Using Mavericks with late 2009 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Brittw1, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Brittw1 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased 8Gb of RAM (upgrading from 2Gb) for my late 2009 MacBook. And was wondering from your experience if i will be able to run Mavericks smoothly with it. I currently am running OSX Lion. I know buying a SSD would probably make it ideal for mavericks but i was going to see if i could avoid that.

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It will run a little bit better than Lion from my experience. Adding an SSD will make it a new machine.

3. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Mavericks and an SSD would be a great experience on it. And what better way to install mavericks than a fresh install onto an SSD?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You do not need an SSD to have a good experience on that machine with Mavs. I installed Mavs on my daughter's 2008 Macbook with 4GB and a hard drive and it was very smooth and worked just fine.

5. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I think i may consider an SSD now. The samsung evo seems really reasonably priced. What are the best ways to transfer the data from the HD to the SSD if i don't want to clone it?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just DL Mavs now from the App Store and quit the installer when it launches. Then use this utility along with an 8GB USB key to make an Mavs installer. Then option key boot to the USB key and you will get this screen.

[​IMG]

From there launch Disk Utility and in the erase tab erase the new SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click install OS X and wait for install to finish.

Once that is done setup your account on the new machine and go to the Startup Disk pane in System Prefs and select the new SSD as the boot drive.

Now manually resinstall all your apps then manually move all your data over from a backup drive.

This will give you a clean install of Mavs.

That said, if you are not having trouble with your current install, this is a lot of work for very little if any benefit. I would install Mavs now then clone the old disk to the new and be done with it.

7. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I broke down and bought an SSD. Thanks for the info ill probably just clone it to make it easier.

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I bought the Samsung 840 Evo and am happy with it so far.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Me too. Best drive I have ever used.

10. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

Me too! Completely trouble free

11. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to hear! I bought the evo also. Hopefully with the 8gb ram and the SSD i will see some good improvements.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Using Mavericks with late 2009 MacBook

You should definitely see it perk in speed.

13. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do any of you run TRIM with yours? Is it necessary to do so?

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I run Trim Enabler to enable TRIM support. Is it necessary is up for debate! I believe the Samsungs should have it on.

15. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I don't use TRIM. If OWC doesn't suggest TRIM on their Sandforce SSD (classically the most buggy ones) it's probably not needed on a Samsung EVO. You could expect something like a 5-10% speed improvement at the cost of CPU usage for managing TRIM.

16. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks for the input! I will probably use TRIM Enabler to be save.

17. NastyComputers macrumors regular

NastyComputers

I just bought a late 2009 which was running Mavs already with only 2gb. (I have already ordered 8gb for upgrade) but it runs okay with just the 2gb as long as you aren't going anything crazy

18. Brittw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just installed the SSD and 8gb of RAM. Its like a whole new machine. Application launch instantly. Thanks for all the help!