Using MBA as a "media center"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Have the Oct 2010 MBA 13". Been wanting to upgrade my 4yo iMac to something with an i5 or i7 chip. Waiting to see what happens with the next MBA or Mac mini - going to leave ALL options open till these are updated.

In the mean time I was thinking that I would like to use the above MBA as a "media center" for my ATV2. My thoughts are to connect a 1.5 to 2TB HDD to it with my iTunes library and connect the MBA to my HDTV in a closed position. But not sure how this works since the MBA goes to sleep when the lid is closed.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Mikhailov macrumors regular

From my experience, you would need to leave the lid open. I have had great luck connecting my MBP to an external HD, and using it as a media hub for movies and TV shows. I imagine the experience must be as fluid for an MBA. Please let me know how this works because I'm eyeing one of the 2010 MBAs.

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for the links. So far Insomniax seems to fit the bill best on my needs so far. Thinking that there is no reason I should not be able to leave the MBA running 24/7 with that app in use.

Will let you know what I end up doing here. Though with Insomniax installed I see no reason that I could not turn off the MBA between uses and use Insomniax when using it as a feeder of the iTunes library to the ATV2's that we have here in the house.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why not just buy a used Mini for your media center, hell a C2D will do that job just fine. Then you don't have to choose between using your computer and leaving it closed and connected.

6. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

That's what I was thinking too.. You said you're considering getting a new MBA, right? Sell your 13".. You might be able to get a used Mini and a new MBA 11" for it.. (Well most of it at least..)

7. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks... have to see what I might get for the MBA that I own right now.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You could probably get around a grand for it. Look and see what the refurbs are going for at Apple's site, go to eBay, make a convincing listing and undercut Apple's price by 50 bucks or so. Or match it. Somebody is going to buy it.