Using MBA as a server (10.8 Server - not a music server)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by percival504, Aug 15, 2012.

1. percival504 macrumors regular

I'm not talking about a music server. I'm talking about a full blown mail / carddav / caldav / ftp, etc. server (using 10.8 server).

I have my reasons for wanting to use the MBA. I already have a Mac Pro and two MacBooks Pro (frankly, I also have a 2.5 i5 iMac that I'll probably be getting rid of if the MBA will work as a server), so I know the pros and cons of using those models. I have considered the Mac Mini Server, but for the price the iMac is a better deal for me.

I'm just wondering if anyone might happen to have some actual experience with the MBA as a server. Right now, it is functioning perfectly (in fact, better than anything else I've put to the task), but I'm finding that CPU utilization is always at least 25%, the fans consistently run at 3K or greater, and CPU temp is very rarely lower than 162 (its usually between 162 - 180). Of course 8 GB RAM is absolutely necessary, but that is not a problem.

TIA.

P504

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If the fans bother you with a max temp of 82'c you could afford to turn them down but that's personal choice. As for the CPU utilisation that's about right.