Using MBP 13 As Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dloreski, May 5, 2010.

1. dloreski macrumors member

I just ordered my MBP last night.
    If I buy the wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, then the only cords / items attached to it would be for my monitior and power.....Is this correct?
    I also ordered a new Samsung BX2440 24" LED monitior to go with it......Which Apple adapter will I need to hook that up?
    Thanks!
    - Dave

2. wakemac macrumors member

I use a similar setup. I have Apple wireless keyboard/Magic mouse, a Rain Design M stand and a 24" LCD monitor. I use the LCD/MBP screen as dual monitors. I have three cords plugged into the MBP: Power, a MDP to DVI adapter and a speaker cord to my external speakers. I have used a setup like this for several years and really like it. The adapter you need will depend on the monitor. I use DVI, but could also use HDMI with the monitor I have. Hope that helps.

3. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Grats on your orders that is some nice stuff you are getting! I just witnessed first hand yesterday the very monitor your ordered as a colleague of mine bought two for her office and I had to help her set them up. They are very, very impressive looking 24" as far as color and gamut go. Dare I say I like it better than my last gen 24" iMac screen? The overall screen feel maybe but the fact that there is no USB hub or HDMI ports on it surprises me. Not enough real time on it to compare but it was easy on the eyes to say the least.

Yes you are correct you will have very little cabling/wires if you so desire. All you will have is your power cord if you need it, and your monitor cable - unless you have external speakers you plan on using. For that monitor you simply need a mini display port to DVI adapter as there is no HDMI connection. They are all over the place but I link to Apple's for reference here on the :apple: store.

4. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!
    I was just trying to figure out what I would have to unplug each time I take it with me.
    I do have speakers too, I forgot about that cord.
    I was just going to keep it closed and use the LCD.
    Just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of using both screens at the same time?
    I've read about other people doing that too.

5. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!
    I just ordered the monitor from New Egg and it was only $299.
    I hate buying one without seeing it in person, but I took a chance.
    Looking at the price and specs, it seemed ok. My last screen had the height adjustment and it just broke.....Once you have that feature, you never want one without it.
    Everything should be here by Monday, so we'll see how it goes.
    Not to mention, this is my first Mac, so I'm sure I'll be back with questions!

6. wakemac macrumors member

I use my 13" as my primary computer for both work and personal use. The setup I mentioned is what I use at the office, so having the dual monitors makes it much easier to multitask. I usually have 3 work programs running at a time (accounting, operations, and email), so with both monitors I can see everything at once and can more easily transfer information from one program to another. I've just gotten used to it and it really saves time.

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Using a laptop as a desktop is great because you avoid all syncing problems. All data is on the same computer, wherever you are using it.