using mbp advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr miyagi, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mr miyagi macrumors member

HI all
    I am new to MBP's and laptop's so my question might sound silly but would appreciate the advice.
    I read in the manual its not good to use the MBP on the bed or on a pillow or something and best to use it on a table, due to it heating up. Now I know how to following this advice, however my 17 year old sister also uses my MBP. I have advised her not to use it on the bed or her pillow as it can over heat. However incase she does not listen, what I am wondering is, if she does use it too much on the pillow or bed, and it warms up can this damage my MBP? I mean if it can then the alternative will be for her not to use it unless I am home. any advice will be appreciated.

thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's highly unlikely that your machine will be damaged using it on a bed or pillow.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Heat = shorter life time

Heat is never good for components, it shortens their life. Pillows etc usually block the air holes meaning that air can't flow well in the laptop

Tell her to have e.g. a book under the MBP so it's not buried into to bed or pillow

4. mr miyagi thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that. worse case scenario. if it did get damaged would it be expensive to fix, or would apple care cover it?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AppleCare would cover it as it's impossible to prove that it was intended.

6. Bulldog321 macrumors newbie

I also use my current laptop while sitting on my bed or place it on the sofa next to me.

To avoid the overheat problem, I bought a hard plastic cutting board (the see through plastic kind) that is roughly the same size as the base of my laptop. I always place my laptop on the cutting board. Not only does it keep the laptop vents free, but the added rigidity makes typing easier.

7. mr miyagi thread starter macrumors member