Using MBP in bed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MeWants, May 3, 2010.

1. MeWants macrumors newbie

MeWants

Pretty self explanatory. I tend to use my current laptop in bed at times and was wondering if it would be advisable or not to continue that with the mbp. I believe it does get quite hot, and with it being my first mac purchase I really would not want it to malfunction due to excess heat.

Any users who use their laptops in bed? If so, how do you make sure the vents are clear and it runs cool? Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Its a typical reaction for a first time mac user. It MAY be getting too hot, but chances are you just think this because the alluminum is A) much more thin than the casing of your previous laptop and B) the aluminum is made to suck up the heat, so it does get warm.

Just try to keep it as flat as possible. I've been using my MBP's in bed for years.

3. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

As long as you aren't gaming, and therefore not on the 330, you'll be fine.
    (unless you use Skype, apparently that needs some GPU action too :) )

4. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

just make sure the fan outlets aren't obstructed with any duvets or whatever.

consider a food pillow lap tray thing for your laptop

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Since my PowerBook days, I have used a Targus Coolpad Podium. A great investment, it elevates the rear of the laptop (vents) so that the heat can be more easily removed and does not meet resistance of blankets, etc. Also, you don't feel the heat as much and the magsafe isn't as prone to be at the wrong angle causing disconnection. :)
    In my experience, you should avoid the laptop "chill pads" or whatever that offer fans, or other usb-powered cooling. Usually the fans break within a year and you're out $30 to buy a new one. Sticking with a simple, yet effective piece of equipment is a good investment.

6. MeWants thread starter macrumors newbie

MeWants

I don't really use any duvets or blankets, but my concern is primarily from the heat being trapped under the mbp when it sits on the bed. I would be doing considerable amount of editing, photo manipulation and gaming through bootcamp hence pretty definite the 330 would be kicking in most of the time.

Is the general consensus to not risk it and just use it on a desk while heavy usage?

7. mattgoldey macrumors member

Just find yourself a nice lap desk. Something solid and flat on top (to allow airflow) with a cushion on the bottom and you'll be fine.

8. tekmoe macrumors 68000

For basic web surfing and email, you shouldn't really feel it get warm at all. But if you put it to work with some photo editing, video editing, or even gaming, you are going to feel the heat. But you won't do any harm to the Mac. It's made for this type of stuff! :cool:

9. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

just make sure to not block the bottom rear where the fans blow out and it should be fine

10. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

Very cool, thanks for posting this, just what I need for working in bed without overheating the i7.

11. etceteraism macrumors member

You should use a laptop rest or at least the box it came in to prop it up on the bed. I've used my Macbook for 4 years either in bed or on top of a blanket on my lap on the couch. Often the fans start to kick in and it gets hot because it doesn't ventilate properly. The past few months my bluetooth module has been on the fritz (and my MB won't sleep properly anymore) and I think the constant lack of ventilation just wore it down over the years.

12. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I use mine in bed all the time (every night :p )

I just lay on my stomach and have the back of the MBP pushed an inch or two off the end of the bed so the vent is nice and open, it never gets hot...plus I use SMCFancontrol, my default fan speed is set to 3000rpm, it usually sits around 50 degrees in bed while surfing using the 9400m

13. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

You should be fine, just dont do any intensive gaming and things that stress the cpu.

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I use the Logitech Comfort Lapdesk and it keeps my MBP really cool and raises it up for better posture. I got mine at Target for $30, I see Amazon has it for $40.

15. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

This must be while using heavy flash based websites. Am I right?

16. nconnella macrumors regular

Personally I wouldn't be worried. My wife and I watch netflix all the time in bed which kicks on the 330m. We also have duvet. I just make sure it isn't buried in it. Even placing it on a book or something should be sufficient. I never felt like it was too hot or going to set something on fire...

17. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

It's ok.

Mac's ventilate to the top (via hinge). Unlike PC's that need sides/bottom to be uncovered...

I do it too.. ;)

18. stevespa macrumors member

19. ano0oj macrumors 6502

its usually never a problem...if you look at the back vent, the heat goes out through the bottom and top right where "Macbook pro" is written