using MBP screen w/pc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ivanjones, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ivanjones macrumors newbie

hello all,
    im trying to figure out a way to run my pc through my macbook pro's display, what wires and/or software will i need to pull this off?? thanks for looking.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well, I wouldn't say you can't outright. True you wouldn't be able to do it through the DVI port. But, you can do it. It's just going to cost a whole lot of money. :) You can get a scan converter to scale down the PC output to get it to go into a video capture card on the Mac, and then you can see the PC output on the Mac screen. Probably not going to be what you want, but it is possible.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

What you can do is to use a VNC server on your pc and connect with the desktop sharing from your macbook to it. You should be able to control the pc with that. Of course both computers need to be networked.

Or you can use Remote Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx

For the last one you will only need to activate the access in windows and the Os X client software (see link).

Of course it won't be exactly as having a screen connected to the pc, in term of quality.

5. ivanjones thread starter macrumors newbie

remote access would have worked except the catch is that my pc got forced down during the sp3 update about 2 months ago so basically the only thing that works on that mofa is firefox and cs2. i know this is like asking football fans for help with hockey questions but anyone know how i could rectify the sp3 problem? reinstalling doesnt work. i cant get into my control panel to do anything. i fear its looking like im gonna hve to write some zeroes :(

:apple: - ftw

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Can't you boot in safe mode and do a system restore to a restore point before the sp3 install?

7. ivanjones thread starter macrumors newbie

the system restore feature is still accessible through the gui but it wont restore back to before the sp3 install. no idea why.