Using MBP to install Windows 7 on Vaio via Network Boot. Need Advice.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GrannySmiths, Feb 26, 2013.

1. GrannySmiths macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio with a broken DVD drive (cut a long story short I snapped it some months back). I have a Windows 7 ISO on my MBP but with very few options to install Windows 7 on the Vaio.

I've tried to do it from USB, but copying the iso to USB using dd at the terminal don't seem to work (creates an unbootable USB). I can't modify Boot Camp assistant plist to create a bootable USB because I'm on on 10.6 and my version don't support it. So creating a bootable Windows 7 USB on the MBP seems impossible - unless there is software that will do it that I'm not aware of.

The only option now is to do a network boot. But can the MBP host the Windows ISO so I can install it on the Vaio over the network and are there any guides that detail this? I've tried Google, but nothing written on Mac -> PC network boots/installs.

I really appreciate any advice as I've been pulling my hair out for hours on this.

2. GrannySmiths thread starter macrumors newbie

That software requires Windows though. I don't have another laptop with Windows only the MBP.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Then you won't be able to install Windows.

4. GrannySmiths thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's impossible to do a network install with the MBP hosting the Win7 .iso?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Well, not without doing extensive retooling and adding a PXE boot server. As non-Macs can't use Netboot.