Using MBP with screen down/heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sc25893, Feb 5, 2013.

1. sc25893 macrumors member

Hi everyone.

Has anyone got experience with using their MBP mainly on an external monitor with the lid down on the laptop?

I'm only asking because this will be my main use, on my 24" monitor. I will probably only use it as a laptop when I want to loaf about on the couch. I got a 2011 13.3" lower spec one to replace my (higher spec) mac mini as I don't need a great deal of processing power and the macbooks are absolutely lovely! It's a trade off that I am pretty happy with so far.

Just a slight concern that it could get a little hot under there, and the heat is obviously right next to the screen. It doesn't have to close all the way before the external monitor is initiated so is it a better idea to leave it open 1cm or so?

Thanks.

Sam.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heat radiates in all directions and dissipates through the aluminum body. While clamshell mode or using a keyboard covering slightly inhibits dissipation, it's not enough to cause problems or raise temps more than a few degrees, since the primary cooling is through the vents.

There has never been any air intake or exhaust vents through the keyboard on any Mac notebook. For all Mac notebooks except the MBP-Retina, both intake and exhaust has always been through the vents in the rear near the hinge. The new MBP-Retina has intake vents along the sides at the bottom and exhaust through the rear vents, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    This arrangement allows for venting with the lid open or closed (for operating in clamshell mode). There is a solid panel under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

System ventilation is mostly on the underside- the only real heat dissipation you're going to lose is whatever manages to radiate up through the keyboard. It might get warm in there, but very unlikely to be hot enough to damage anything as long as your system is within normal temperature ranges anyway.

Leaving the lid cracked a bit, however, seems like it could be hard on the hinge.

4. sc25893 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

So we're saying just close the thing and get on with it! :)

Got Apple care until July 2014 so if anything goes wrong at least there's a cushion.

Sam.