Using MBP Without The battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bulldog3777, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Is it possible and safe to use the MBP 15 without the battery? I know you can a Windows laptop. I have the MBP 13 which I use for portability. The 15 in just stay stationary. All I am doing is just cycling the battery over and over and using up it's life. I didn't want to try it without advice.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...supposedly the CPU gets under clocked if you use it with out the battery plugged into the machine...

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

if you have the mbp with the battery that can be taken out and not the inbuilt one (new gen 7 hour ones) then you can but its pointless...

When you take the battery out of a macbook/pro the hardware is clocked down making the machine run less fast than it is when the battery is in (its weird I know... but apple have done this for some odd reason)

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

1) Having the battery sit in the computer while it is on power does NOT count as a charge cycle. Only portions of charges/discharges count as cycles. That said, if you plan on leaving it on the desk, it is a good idea to discharge/rechairge every month or so.

2) Removing the battery will cause the CPU to underclock. And, obviously, if you lose power (the magsafe IS actually meant to pop out easily with a little pressure) you will lose your data instantly.

5. Bulldog3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP Battery

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

6. bezerk3r86 macrumors member

I guess that explains why it runs cooler. By removing it, it also "removes" the bottom enclosure sensor as it reads -128 C.