Using Micro sim in old phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauliphone, Jun 11, 2010.

1. pauliphone macrumors regular

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading to the iPhone4 on launch day, or as soon as I can after. However when I am going out and having a few beers I like to take an old phone with me so that I don't need to worry about getting drunk and loosing it!!

Obviously with the iPhone4 I will no longer be able to just switch the sim card like I do at the moment. I have searched on the internet and found this product
    http://www.noosymicrosimadapter.com/cp/html/?39.html

This would be the perfect solution for my problem, but I can't seem to find any online store that sells it. I was wondering if anyone has managed to get hold of one or knows of anywhere that this can be purchased?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

3. pauliphone thread starter macrumors regular

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Mine's on the way from MicrosSIM Shop. I just got one, and for a little over 7 USD, including shipping all the way from Austria, I don't think that's too bad. It may take a while to get here, but that's why I ordered it three weeks before get my new phone.

For reference, they offer to set up expedited shipping if you are willing to foot the bill.

5. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

I made my own adaptor from an old SIM. All it took was an exacto knife, about five minutes of my time, and some patience.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

So if I get an adapter, I can switch between my iPhone 4 and 3GS at will, and AT&T won't care?

7. mbob macrumors member

I used one of those tray things but be careful it doesnt get stuck in there. I put tape in key areas to secure and was thankful when I pulled it out as I was sure for without I would have lost the sim inside the phone.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm going to make my own micro sim adapter by cutting a template out of an old credit card. I'm planning to use it for my cheap Nokia (bar/travel) phone. Is there any difference in how the sim and the microsim are read, though? Will the old phone automatically pickup the micro sim?

I read this article about doing this procedure with the iPhone 3G, which makes me think there are some steps on the software side of things (see article)...

http://hijinksinc.com/2010/05/14/using-a-micro-sim-in-an-iphone-3g/

Does anyone know whether there is any carrier settings that need to be changed? Has anyone done this with regular (Nokia?) phones? Can anyone confirm if this worked for them?

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

No they won't care, I switched between my first iP4, and 3GS, with no problems.

10. asr10 user macrumors regular

I bought a micro sim adaptor from ebay for $1 shipped. Works fine. I put the new micro sim into an old dumb phone and it worked no problem.