Using Migration Assistant to new iMac with Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by phphoto, Jul 25, 2013.

1. phphoto macrumors member

Hi. I am about to order a new iMac with 1TB Fusion drive. I would like to use migration assistant to transfer all my documents, photos and applications like Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom from my Time Machine backup on my Mac Pro, running Snow Leopard, to the new iMac. Will it know where to put the relevant files, applications etc. onto the fusion drive i.e. applications to the ssd part? Also, do I transfer literally everything from the time machine backup or is it best to install some things manually?
    Many thanks for your help.

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Setup/Migration Assistant should place all your files in the correct location. You have a few selections within Setup Assistant that lets you choose whether to install Applications, Home folders, etc. You should go through the Mac Pro to get rid of any old apps you no longer use.

Keep in mind that for Adobe, you have (I think) two computers your license is good for. So, after the migration, you might want to remember to deauthorize the Mac Pro, unless you're going to continue using it, too. This also applies to iTunes, although you have more authorizations with iTunes than with Apple.

The Operating System will be on the SSD portion of the Fusion Drive. After you've migrated your system, the the Apps and files you use most often will be moved to the SSD. So, initially, with first use, it may load from the HDD, but you'll notice things speed up with a little use as the Fusion Drive does it's stuff.

3. phphoto thread starter macrumors member