Using migration assistant to transfer apps from one G4 to a G5 [both running 10.4.11/ PPC]

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Benguiver, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Benguiver macrumors newbie

hi all,

I need some advice. When i try to boot my old g4 into target disc mode, in order to transfer apps [such as CS2 and a nice plugin] it just turns itself off after the startup chime. It worked when i had another drive connected, but not with the one i want to get apps off...Any ideas please gratefully received...

All best

Ben

2. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

Hello,
    someone at the Apple Discussions forum posted a similar problem back in 2007 between two PowerPC Macs.
    This may or may not be related to your problem, but it's worth a look.

The diagnosis was and I quote:
    "FTDM will only work with the master device on the onboard controller. It will not work with a slave nor with 3rd party controllers."
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1061338?start=0&tstart=0

3. Benguiver thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for that. i will check to make sure this is the case, the HD on my G4 was the master device but maybe as per your helpfully link i need to make sure the jumpers and cable reflect this.

just to check I understand the migration assistant - it can transfer your apps from old machine to a new one, in a way that means, unlike simply copying the app over, when you want to run tha app, it doesn't tell you 'no valid serial number,' etc etc

4. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

Yes, that would seem to be the case since Migration Assistant copies over all the user accounts, preferences, docs, apps, etc. And probably only after a permission/password-enabled prompt.
    I've only used Migration Assistant once & that was a long time ago - I can't remember the actual process.