Using Migration assistant without seeing the screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tanjo1, Dec 6, 2010.

1. tanjo1 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MacBook Pro because my other computer pretty much died, in that the screen can no longer be seen. The guy at the store told me it was probably a bad cable running from the computer to the monitor. Anyways, I am trying to get stuff off of my old computer with migration assistant. Right now, I cannot even see if my old computer is logged in, connected to the internet, or anything. In trying to using the network migration assistant, it prompts me to right in a set of numbers to connect with my old computer. How can I do that when I cannot see the screen? Would it work if I bought a cable to connect the two, therefore not requiring me to put in a password or numbers in my old computer? Please help!:eek:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could also simply pop the HD out of the old computer, and move your data by hand.

3. barmann macrumors 6502

You can connect the two computers with a Firewire cable, then boot your damaged Mac holding the T key (target disk mode).

That will mount your harddrive on the new computer, and you can copy the content manually, migrate it, or clone it with Superduper or such to any harddrive connected to the new machine .