Using Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seble, Oct 8, 2012.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

My 2007 MBP crapped out on me about 6 months ago, the graphics card went, meaning the machine was unusable but I was able to get it into Firewire mode if I wanted. Since then its been with an Apple engineer and he said the CPU has gone as well. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to boot into firewire mode at all.

Asking because when I get a new iMac (hurry up Apple!) I want to transfer all of my data across. If this doesn't work will migration assistant on mac allow you to pull the data from an external hard drive? Or would I have to use a time machine backup? Thanks

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If in fact the CPU has gone as well, then you will be unable to put the computer into the Firewire mode as desired.

However, assuming the actual hard disk itself is still OK, you could remove the disk drive from your MBP and put it into a cheap USB or Firewire enclosure and simply plug it into your new iMac. You can then use the Migration Assistant presented during the new computer initialization to restore your MBP working environment to the new iMac.

-howard

3. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spoke to him, and he said the Hard drive appears to be fine, now to decide wether to use a Time machine backup or remove the drive then. What would you do? Which would be easier to do? (the mac is currently still in the workshop I just have to do ask him to do it but it will cost)

4. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

tell them to remove the drive. restore from backup will be faster via usb, it's the same if you're doing it from the harddrive or timemachine backup.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You can do this yourself, you don't need to pay someone to transfer your data to a new computer.

Do you have a current Time Machine backup of the contents of your MBP? And, where is it ... on a external disk drive, WiFi Time Capsule, other?

I have restored from both TM backups and other computers and don't really have a preference for one or the other methods. I do prefer a wired connection if possible to the backup data ... Firewire, USB, Network, etc. It just takes forever to restore via WiFi (use a direct ethernet cable to a Time Capsule if that is what you use for backup).

If you have a good TM backup, no sense paying someone to remove your hard disk unless you want to keep it (personal data, reuse, make a external drive out of it, etc.). I would not let it out with personal data on it ... if you are going to sell it in the MBP for parts, take it out and "zero security erase" it first, then stick it back in the MBP and do what you wish with it.

-howard

6. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't worry I'm friends with the engineer (I used to work there), but I'll just ask him to stick the HD in an external drive. I wasn't planning on selling the mac