Using MobileMe Alias in iChat?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 20, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm trying to figure out how this is done. I added several aliases to my .Mac account before the changeover. They now work for e-mailing, but I when I try to set up an account to use them in iChat, my .Mac/MobileMe password is rejected. Has anyone been able to do this, or seen this issue? Thanks!

2. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

i've got the same problem

anyone got any ideas?

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Lacking any other evidence, I've concluded that this is a restriction, deliberate or otherwise. The me.com variation of my mac.com address works as an account, but none of the aliases do.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'd guess that they existence of the aliases doesn't get distributed across all of the systems, but only resides in email-land. The .me address is actually used everywhere that .mac is, for obvious reasons. Similarly, I don't think you could log into MobileMe web using an alias account, only the real one.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably. A cheesy work-around might be to open an AIM account with one of your me.com aliases. Unless someone has a better idea.

6. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

You can't do that can you? I've been trying and the only way I get get an AIM account going is with the main MobileMe account. If I try and use an alias it just tells me that it's already in use, and I can't sign in with it either.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you can go to AIM directly on the web and create the account there using one of your me.com aliases. Haven't tried it, though.

8. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

That's what I was doing, using the screen name service, and it was telling me that it was already in use so I guess that's a no-go :(

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly