Using more Real memory rather than Virtual ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bansaw, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Bansaw macrumors newbie

I've got a nice 8GB of RAM but I've just had a look at my Activity Monitor -> Memory usage and I see that a lot of applications are using much more Virtual memory than the available Real

I've looked at the applications' settings and I've allowed, for example, Apple Motion to use 80% of my memory.
    But when I look, when its working away, its using 139Mb real memory and 1.22Gb virtual.

I know virtual is slower than real, so how can I take full advantage of my 8GB ?

2. pooky macrumors 6502

This is normal behavior. OS X dynamically allocates your memory between real and virtual, there is no need for you to think/worry about it. You ARE taking full advantage of your 8 GB, and almost all apps will normally use much more virtual memory than real.

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that the Leopard Activity Monitor gives a slightly skewed representation of how much virtual memory is being used.

For example, I've currently got Safari, iTunes, Mail, Last.fm, text edit and Activity monitor open and it reckons that I'm using 55GB of virtual memory. I only have 40GB free on the boot drive.

So yeah, just ignore it.

4. Bansaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.... I have 10.5.4 by the way, 2x2.8Ghz quad core...

When I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 8GB there was no dramatic difference in performance. There was slightly but not as much as I expected.

I have a number of apps open including Apple Motion, DVD SP, Final Cut, Photoshop, Firefox and there's still 5GB free memory not being touched.
    Apple Motion, DVD and FC are hogs too so I expected more real memory to be used.
    They are using something like 1.22Gb each virtual!

I don't think my 8GB is being used to anywhere near its capacity - thats my worry ....

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I use final cut on my iMac and I often have half a gig of RAM unused (I have 3 overall). There are only a few things you can do that will use all of your RAM. I bet a bit of uncompressed HD footage would give it a run for it's money...