Using More Than One Set of Airpods

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TheNaz, Jan 7, 2017.

1. TheNaz macrumors newbie

TheNaz

If you own more than one set would it be possible to pair both to the same device at the same time so that two or more people can listen to the same music? If so would it matter if the sets got mixed up?

2. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

3. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

The phone/device can only have one audio output destination at any given time. So the answer is no.

4. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

This isn't possible but on Mac you can use AirPlay so that one application outputs audio to one audio device and an other application outputs to an other device.

On Mac it might be possible to listen to the same audio stream on more than one audio device, but I don't know what or how many applications you need to use to achieve that. Basic idea is that you need to send the audio to a special software audio device that splits and sends the audio to two or more hardware audio devices.

5. blaine07 macrumors 65816

6. 2013.1 macrumors member

Doesn't it already provide two destinations with audio? The two AirPods work independently don't they?

7. FunkyTang macrumors 6502

I ask an Apple Store employee, not at the Genius Bar, about this and they didn't know.

The scenario for me would be one pair at work and one pair at home.

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'm pretty sure they must both pickup the same stream and organise sync between themselves somehow, as they work with any bluetooth sending device.

9. niceandeasy macrumors member

niceandeasy

From what I understand you can only stream audio to one bluetooth device at a time, AirPod's or not.

10. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

You can have multiple sets of AirPods paired to your devices and switch between them without issue - indeed I've done this for a while now without issue - but you can't output audio two sets of AirPods from the same iOS device at the same time, as OP wanted.

11. Thebeartrack1 macrumors newbie

Thebeartrack1

I disagree with this. I have Sennheiser headphones that stream Bluetooth to as many as four sets at the same time once they are paired.