Using MOSS 2007 in a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by confusedmoi, Nov 2, 2010.

1. confusedmoi macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    I am planning to buy a notebook and my main aim is to be able to train myself in Microsoft SharePoint configuration in a Windows Server environment. Now I would definitely love it if I were able to do that in a Mac, which brings me to the question, has any one here been able to run a Windows Server(2003 or 2008) on a Macbook Pro without any issues? If yes, have they been able to work on SharePoint within it?!

I haven't purchased a laptop yet and I am looking at MBP 13 which unfortunately do not use a core i5 processor(with the price factor in mind). Are there any SharePoint experts in here who will be able to help me with this!?

p.s: I hope my query is clear.

Regards

2. confusedmoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I am confused. Is this a question I am not supposed to ask or is it just that someone experienced with the above issue just hasn't gone through this yet!? :s

3. Berknip macrumors member

I've done it under VMware on a Mac and it works fine. However, I haven't done it natively running Microsoft Server directly on the Mac.

4. confusedmoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply mate. Did you use it in MBP 13(core 2 Duo) or a MBP 15, 17(core i5, i7 processors?)

5. Berknip macrumors member

MBP 17" 3.06 Duo. Regardless, I only assigned it one CPU and 1G of RAM for testing purposes. You'll need to read up on how to make the network 'available' in VMWare on their site if you plan to have external access to it. I used that setup to POC a sharepoint setup for a client and it worked fine. It's not a high performing setup, but it gets the job done for unit testing/POC work.

6. confusedmoi thread starter macrumors newbie

I wont be using any external clients. My sole aim is to practice SharePoint, create test sites, use it as a virtual workstation. I will have to look for better options if a MBP 13 wont be able to handle this. My other option is an HP envy 14, but then, Mac is Mac.

7. Berknip macrumors member

If your only desire is to have a portable Microsoft Server/Sharepoint setup and performance is a high priority, you're probably better off running it natively on a PC platform/portable. I couldn't advise you on trying this on a Mac in Bootcamp as I haven't tried it, nor do I believe that to be an optimum configuration.

That said, as I mentioned before, I have a Duo 3.06/8GB configuration and I ran the VM on an external FW 800 drive and it more than got the job done. The PROs of this type of setup is a) you still get to run all of your other Mac applications if that is your thing, b) if you copy the VM after your initial setup you can always use that as a base to return to if you mess something up or want to go back to a pristine state for any reason, c) the VM runs 'boxed' up in its own environment so that it can be used with VMWare Fusion (MAC) or VMWare workstation (PC).

For that matter you can put it in a VM on a PC based setup as well.

I am neither a Mac nor Microsoft zealot as I live in both worlds daily for my livelihood. I'd recommend making your selection based on what your priorities for performance/price/ease of use for your situation.

YMMV

8. confusedmoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your opinion regarding this. I guess at this point of time, I am better off with a Envy 14. Guess MBP will have to wait.