Using multicam for photoalbum? cuts to muisc

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by y0ud, May 27, 2012.

1. y0ud macrumors newbie

hello

i am interested in using final cuts multicam to cut together photos for a photo album.

I want to have very quick cuts and think that if i could use the multicam feature, it could work very easily.

everytime i select all the photos and audio i want, every cam comes up as black in the angle editor......what am i doing wrong?

is this sort of task possible?

Thanks

2. y0ud thread starter macrumors newbie

just realised

i can do this for 10 seconds, which is the exact length of the images i can load in, then the picture goes black from the on.

so in that first 10 seconds i can just around the first 16 photos with ease, then it stops

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

If you are using FCP

In you preferences under the editing tab you can change what duration stills default to. But I think you'll have to redo everything. Stills have in and out points in the middle by default. If you want to make them longer you can do so in the timeline or double click them and adjust the in/out points in the viewer. I am not sure if doing this with the clips in an already created multiclip will work or not.

I believe the normal length of stills are 2 minutes or so and just the middle 10 seconds is selected with in/out. Same as slugs and solids, the middle duration set in your preferences is pre selected.

4. boch82 macrumors 6502

Mulitcam is not the way to do this. The best way is to cut each image into you timeline as close to the beat as possible. Then go back once everything is on the timeline and trim to the exact frame. If you are just using still images a 60fps sequence will be more accurate.

I've done many slideshows for corporate events and would never think to use multi cam as its more work than its worth.

5. WRP macrumors 6502a

There are a million ways to do it. But if he wanted he could do all the slices realtime if you played it opensync and used the add edit keyboard shortcut everytime the beat where he wanted a cut hit. As an amatuer music producer listening to the beat and tapping my finger would be more accurate than the waveform in your timeline (which isn't very accurate). Then just go back, click the clip and select which angle you want.

6. y0ud thread starter macrumors newbie

select all photos, add to multi cam

click play, click photos

MUCH easier then individually drag in EVERY single photo, just couldn't work out the 2minute thing, will try tomorrow!

7. musique macrumors regular

musique

You could also use markers

Another of the "million ways to do it" is to use markers. This could take a music beat first approach.

For example:
    1. Lay down your music track.
    2. Go through the track and put in markers on each beat where you want the image to change.
    3. Then use each pair of markers to do inserts for each image (or clip, if you have video).

Best of luck.

8. y0ud thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome, can i place markers with a click/hitting a key while the track is playing as well?

9. WRP macrumors 6502a

the m key. Once makes a marker and twice lets you edit the marker.

10. musique macrumors regular

musique

+What WRP said.

Also, Control+; (semicolon) will take you to the previous marker and Control+' (single quote, just next to the semicolon) will take you to the next marker.

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

Weird, I use shift+up arrow and shift+down arrow to cycle between markers. Is this something new between FCP X and FCP 7?

12. musique macrumors regular

musique

It's been a while since I've used FCP7. I don't remember. I think Shift+Up arrow or Shift+Down arrow just extends the selection in FCPX.

With the Ctrl+semi and Ctrl+quote for marker jumping, I guess they thought that your first three fingers might be on the J, K, and L keys and the fourth finger could be sitting on top of the semi already. (I discovered this shortcut from one of the books I'm using to help teach myself FCPX.)

13. y0ud thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Richardthe4th macrumors regular