Using multiple airport extremes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bearcatrp, Nov 19, 2012.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Currently have an airport extreme attached (Ethernet) to a POS DSL wireless router. The wireless on the DSL modem was junk so that's why I got the AE. Can I attach another AE (wireless) to the 1st AE? I need another for computers in my basement that don't have wireless capabilities.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I don't use Apple access points but I'm 100% certain that you can and 99% certain that there's a way to configure that in the AirPort Utility.

3. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

You can - I have two in my house. The first is in my office connected to the modem providing wireless downstairs. I have the other connected via powerline in bridged mode to extend wireless and for wired connections.

The Airport Utility makes it easy to configure what you want.

4. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the replies. My AE is currently in bridge mode. Wasn't sure if I get another AE that putting it in bridge mode too would work.
    Colshine, how do you like the powerline connection? Thought about doing that but haven't heard to many good things about that. Connection pretty fast or slow?

5. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I've found it to be excellent as it saves having to wire up all around a large house. There is a small loss in bandwidth but nothing to worry about (IMHO).

For example, the wired to the 1st router speedtests show 76 down while running the same test wired from the second router shows 46 down. As the second router is used mainly for surfing its not a problem for me.