Using Multiple Computers on Time Warner (Resetting the Modem)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ingenious, May 24, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Does anyone know how to reset a Time Warner Road Runner modem so that it will forget the computer that normally uses it?

RR is set up to remember a single computer unless you pay for more addresses. I didn't know this, so I plugged my MacBook in first... but I really want to use my Airport base station. The modem won't "forget" my MacBook, so instead of being able to share the connection wirelessly, I'm stuck two feet from the modem.

If you don't understand, I can clarify some more. I realize I may not have explained this well enough.

Edit:

Okay, from more Googling, I've found that the Road Runner modem has probably saved the MAC address off my MacBook. Is there anyway to do MAC address spoofing on a Graphite Airport?

2. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Okay, got it, so I'm posting just in case someone else needs help.

Roadrunner cycles IP address, just like any network. The difference is the cable network acts more like a LAN than a DSL network (which I guess is a WAN). In other words, you can't just plug a hub into your modem and expect to be able to create a home network to share your files.

If you want to do it that simply, you'll have to pay Time Warner around US$4 a month for each extra computer you connect, because the modem only gives out one IP address (your computers connected to the hub are viewed individually on the cable network, just like a LAN; the modem doesn't act as a router in that aspect; it doesn't perform NAT, etc.).

However, I didn't want to have to pay Time Warner to set that up for me, because I was sure there was another (legitimate) way.

Time Warner accomplishes this trick by causing their modems to remember only one MAC address (remember, only one IP address is available for use from each modem). Our goal is to get the modem to forget that one MAC address.

I found the solution using my own brain and a lot of Google research.

Here's the deal. If you have one computer connected and you want to add more, you'll need a router like Apple's Airport Extreme, Express, or Time Capsule.

1. Unplug your cable modem from the power adaptor. Let it set for around twenty-four hours (less works, too, but make sure it's at least sixteen) so the modem will receive a new IP address and reset its MAC address memory.
      Alternatively, you can use your cable modem's web configuration page (usually located at a 192.x.x.x address [available from modem manufacturer, not cable company] to reset the modem. [thanks Sun Baked.]​
    2. Unplug your router.
    3. After 24 hours, replug your router and let it completely boot up.
    4. Replug your cable modem.
    5. Wait around five minutes for everything to work itself out DHCP-wise.
    6. Test your internet connection by opening a page in your browser (Google is a good, simple test).

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I never knew this; had Road Runner 7/8 years ago and I could never figure out why my router wouldn't work.

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Yea, it's a horrible system. I don't know if it's that way with all cable systems, but it is in the Golden Triangle (SE Texas) where I'm staying right now.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm on Comcast and it's quite happy allowing my multiple Macs and Tivo to use it via an Airport Extreme for no additional charge. All Comcast needs is your cable modem's MAC address and Bob's your uncle after that.

6. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

That might be the same thing as RR, because since you're using a router that performs DHCP and NAT, Comcast only sees one MAC address, and therefore is happy to provide only one IP address. I don't know, but that's how RR works. My DSL at home is nice, because my DSL modem acts as a router (a horrible one, but at least none of this single MAC address junk! :eek:).

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the cable company hasn't blocked access to the modems internet configuration page, you can alway go the the modem IP address and hit reset.

Though going to the modem manufactures site helps.

Personally I get a "This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem." on the 192.x.x.x address for the modem.

8. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Hm. That's a good idea. I've done that on my DSL modem, but it didn't cross my mind to try that on this cable modem. I'll edit my steps above. Thanks.