Using multiple iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mmmtastybusch, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

Question - I'm going to buy the iPad 3 when it comes out, but I plan on keeping my iPad 2 as well. I'm still kind of new to Apple so I'm not sure- will I have to pay for all of my apps again or will it let me keep them on both devices? I thought about leaving it at my girlfriend's house, so is there a way to just make her an apple ID so she can download her own apps, but at the same time leave the ones I've already downloaded on there?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apps are tied to iTunes store account. Can tie 5? Devices to that account, iphones, ipads, ipods, etc.

I would not leave apps and do a new store account, there will be issues when running app updates.

Let her use your store account, and create her a new iCloud account. She'll be using your payment option.

Or start her over from scratch fresh.

3. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh I see. Well I would go that route, but I'd much rather she buy apps with her own payment option lol. There's only a couple apps on there that she would use, mostly games. I might just try it and take a chance on the updates rather than have to pay for them again

4. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

You can do exactly what you want. Leave all your apps on there but switch her over to a new Apple ID.

The sole issue this will cause is that when one of your apps has an update, the iPad is going to prompt for your password to apply the update. If you don't want her to know your password, just do those updates for her every once in awhile by you typing in your own password on her iPad. She'll still be able to download and update her own apps just fine.

As long as she doesn't mind having apps she can't update without your intervention, there really isn't a problem.

I am not sure how many seprate Apple IDs' apps can exist on one iOS device at once. I've never tried more than 2.

5. Vindicator macrumors member

I was about to say the same thing :D
    About account, you can have as many as you want as long as you download app from the device.
    If you sync back to iTunes or install app from iTunes it will allow only 5 accounts on a device, other account's apps will be deleted.

6. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh that's awesome! Just what I was wanting. I have no problem with her having my password, just would rather have her pay directly for hers rather than paying me back for or me buying them for her :D