Using multiple speakers

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Luke93, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Luke93 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be buying an iMac after Xmas to replace my craptacular samsung laptop. With my laptop I use a Logitech speaker system (a sub and 2 speakers) that plugs into the audio jack.
    When I get my Mac I want to also buy a Bluetooth speaker to have elsewhere in the room to create a kind of 'surround sound' by using it in combination with the audio jack logitech speakers.
    But, I'm not sure if this is possible. Is it? Can you simultaneously use speakers via the audio jack as well as Bluetooth?

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Just to clarify. You mean run both sets of speakers at the same time? One from the 3.5 input and Bluetooth?

3. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

You can probably use Audio Midi Setup tool and create a multi output device. I use it with two other devices, usb ones, not bluetooth so not sure.

4. Luke93 thread starter macrumors newbie

The other possibility is turning my audio jack speakers into Bluetooth by using an adapter so I would have 2 sets of Bluetooth speakers. Dunno if this would help....

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You can give the suggestions a shot but I would expect some latency problems with bluetooth, making synchronization a problem.

6. Luke93 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the idea yes.
    Or like I said make them both Bluetooth.
    Whatever works best if at all possible.

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

If quality and latency isn't the most important. You could always get a 5.1 or 7.1 wireless speaker system and put those speakers throughout the house.

Only problem is that .MP3 only supports stereo. You'll need a different format for 5.1 or 7.1

When I get home, I'll try hooking up my mobile Bluetooth speakers to my iMac while getting audio from the 3.5 jack input at the same time. I'll also try it with my external sound card.

8. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i tend to agree. if you want surround then just sell current setup and buy surround. otherwise the BT system may work but par it with an analog system you may end up having an issue with the latency - different part of the sound being output by each of the devices....

9. Luke93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did consider just buying a surround sound but that would be more expensive and I probably couldnt afford it.

10. Luke93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for doing that.
    Let me know how it goes.

11. joeynym macrumors member

yea i tried this the other day... i wanted to play Jam2 bluetooth w/ jbl speakers on headphone jack, couldn't get both of them to play :(

12. pembyfrank macrumors newbie

this might be of interest to you as it worked for me, but only for itunes - buy an older second hand airport express for thirty bucks (v6.3 firmware, plenty of bandwidth for just audio) and plug the logitech 2.1 setup into it, then you can use the imac speakers/jack as well

its maybe not what you looking for because wont work for all audio

13. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I think pembyfrank has the best idea. I just set up something similar using the Airplay features of iTunes and the Airport Express, and I'm amazed at how great it is!

I can play the same iTunes audio to my stereo system speakers and my computer speakers at the same time. Soon I will be adding another Airport Express to my bedroom so I'll be able to have the same music playing there in addition. Great way to have muti-room music (or multi-speaker in the same room in your case).

Control it all from iTunes or and iPod Touch or iPhone using the free Remote app.

If you want to go this route, you wouldn't buy bluetooth speakers. Use your Logitech system, and then buy another set of powered speakers or a mini-amp (like this Lepai $20) and standard speakers.