Using my 22-inch iMac for my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cardona.gus, Mar 7, 2011.

1. cardona.gus macrumors newbie

Hi guys:

I just acquired my Mac Pro Xeon workstation and I wanted to use my iMac as the its screen. I had a HDMI cable but I have not been able to make it work. Can I make this work ? If yes how ? If not how can I get it connected so it can work ? I really appreciate the help since I need to start using this screen for my work.

Gus

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I believe the newer iMacs can take a mini display port input. What iMac do you have? Not sure if going through HDMI will work. Someone else needs to chime in here.

3. DocNo macrumors member

DocNo

Looks like you just plug in a mini display port cable between your Mac Pro and iMac and the iMac automatically switches in to target mode and becomes a secondary display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfb7UUpyoOk

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Unless you have the 27" iMac, you cant do what you want. The Target Display feature is only available on the 27" iMac, and is not available on the 21.5" iMac (There is no 22"). On the 27" you need to plug the required Mini-DP adapter/cable into the iMacs Mini-DP Port, however on smaller models this isnt possible, IIRC this is due to the 21.5" not having the required graphics circuitry to allow input.