Using my BootCamp partition with Parallels, Internet doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by madeirabhoy, Jan 17, 2014.

1. madeirabhoy, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

i have a bootcamp partition that works fine.

with parallels 9, using the bootcamp partition, it works except for the life of me, i cannot get internet working from it. i know its nowt to do with the partition as it works when i restart into it properly, and i know its not the parallels app as it can connect to the internet to redownload parallels tools.

ive tried every possible setting in virtual machine configure. my imac has ethernet internet and there is a wifi connection there too, so it shouldnt be hard.

when i open a webpage and it says cant connect, and you click on it to try to figure out, it says theres no network adaptor.

weird. i found an old xp parallels image, i open it in the same parallels app, only difference is its an xp parallels image rather than a working bootcamp installation. in the xp image internet works fine.

2. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

hope no one minds me bumping this, i still havent found a solution

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

In the settings, under Devices > Network what is it set to?

4. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheers mate, its default adaptor (bridged)

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This page at Parallels should help you sort it out but I think the most important tip is:

Click Virtual Machine menu > Configure > Hardware > Network 1 and make sure that for this network adapter the Connected check-box is marked.

6. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, although that wasnt the problem, it got me on the road to finding the problem. halfway down that article it said about deleting a network adaptor in windows control panel, and it wasnt there on my computer, but there was an ethernet adaptor and just to see what happened i pressed the 'update driver' button on it and it all works.

thanks