using my cinema display with my PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carl201167, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. carl201167 macrumors regular

    May 31, 2005
    London, UK
    I'd like to get some files off my old PC, but the CRT monitor has long since died

    Sacrilege that it is, I'd like to hook up the PC to my 20" cinema display, but of course the ports don't match

    Please could someone tell me if there's an adapter I can buy to solve this, and if so, what is it called? thank you
  2. MacAnkka macrumors regular

    Jun 30, 2006
    If the ports don't match, I guess your PC only has a VGA-connector, which uses an analog signal. Apple Cinema Displays have only a DVI-connector, which uses digital signal.

    So to get it working, you would have to have an adapter that converts VGA (analog signal) to DVI (digital signal). Unfortunately any kind of Analog to Digital converters are usually quite expensive.

    Here's an example:

    You could buy a new monitor for that price. Or a video card that supports DVI.
  3. carl201167 thread starter macrumors regular

    May 31, 2005
    London, UK
    $299? :eek:

    OK, I think I'll take the old PC in a taxi to work and hook it up to one of those monitors
  4. aj98 macrumors member

    Nov 16, 2006
    There are several approaches to what you want to do.

    Since you say "old" PC, I'll assume it has IDE drives, not SATA drives.

    As such, if you have a G4, you can simply remove the drive from your PC and install it in the G4. (making sure to set the master/slave jumpers appropriately).

    OS X can read/write/format fat32, and read NTFS. move files as appropriate, or jsut leave the drive in the Mac.

    Alternately, you can remove the drive from the PC, install it in an external USB or FW case, and use it that way.

    If the PC powers up, adn it is so configured, you can use (free) MS Remote Desktop Connection to access it over a network, turn on sharing, etc. then access the shared drive from the Finder....

Share This Page