Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

152pilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I'm about to order a Macbook Pro, and I plan on using boot camp for gaming.

I was just wondering if it is possible to copy the system files (legally) off of my Dell Inspiron so that I could use them in Boot, instead of having to purchase a new version. Thanks

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I'm about to order a Macbook Pro, and I plan on using boot camp for gaming.

I was just wondering if it is possible to copy the system files (legally) off of my Dell Inspiron so that I could use them in Boot, instead of having to purchase a new version. Thanks

I believe the only way is to clone your drive to the Mac but then that may not work as the hardware has changed. Why don't you just use the install disk that came with the Dell. You will have to register it again and get another key from MS but as it was linked to your Dell they may not (plus it's not legal to run the same OS on two machines).
PM me for further info.
Alan

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
I was just wondering if it is possible to copy the system files (legally) off of my Dell Inspiron so that I could use them in Boot, instead of having to purchase a new version.

If it's a Dell OEM version, you may use it on this particular Dell computer only. Technically you can do that (install this OS on another comp), but it's a violation of EULA.

sash

152pilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I lost the discs a while ago so thats not really an option.

Its not really a big deal; I can easily pay for a new copy, I just wanted to make sure that I had to buy it before I go to the store.

Stealing software isn't really my thing; I won't judge others who do, but if I can afford something I feel really guilty about trying to pirate it for free.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I can easily pay for a new copy, I just wanted to make sure that I had to buy it before I go to the store.

Don't buy the retail copy get the OEM from an online retailer like ZipZoomFly.com or NewEgg.com. You will save a lot of money and the only difference is that you don't get Tech support with the OEM version but the last time I called Microsoft Tech support was way back when I was upgrading from 3.11 to Windows 95 :D .
Alan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.