Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoppimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Kent, UK
It's a 4S with iOS 7.1.2 so I'm a bit behind but I'm really, really liking it!

Clean, polished, professional - a joy to use!

Definitely my favourite phone I've ever owned, although the ONE thing I miss is the freedom to install apps from outside the marketplace, like I had on Android.

Other than that I much prefer both the phone and OS to the Samsung and HTC Android phones I owned.

The main specific things I like are:

- Nice small phone (but hey at least the newer iPhones have Reachability)

- Fast, beautiful and polished OS (thank you, Jonathan Ive - that man is a legend!)

- Phone feels good to hold and use and looks good

- Apps pretty solid and not very buggy

I guess that's about it! It's just a very solid and professional out of the box experience!

Hooray :D

Mike :)

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Using my first ever iPhone! Feedback :)

I think anyone buying a premium phone will lives theirs whether it is an iphone or Samsung.

Congrats on your new phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…although the ONE thing I miss is the freedom to install apps from outside the marketplace, like I had on Android.
Jailbreak.

Install tweaks and apps that you wish from Cydia.

7.1.2 is still jailbreakable via the Pangu jailbreak.

sdyoyo

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
It's a 4S with iOS 7.1.2 so I'm a bit behind but I'm really, really liking it!

Clean, polished, professional - a joy to use!

Definitely my favourite phone I've ever owned, although the ONE thing I miss is the freedom to install apps from outside the marketplace, like I had on Android.

Other than that I much prefer both the phone and OS to the Samsung and HTC Android phones I owned.

The main specific things I like are:

- Nice small phone (but hey at least the newer iPhones have Reachability)

- Fast, beautiful and polished OS (thank you, Jonathan Ive - that man is a legend!)

- Phone feels good to hold and use and looks good

- Apps pretty solid and not very buggy

I guess that's about it! It's just a very solid and professional out of the box experience!

Hooray :D

Mike :)

Nice the 4S is a solid phone

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have ben rocking my daughters old 4s, while i wait to start using my 6 Plus.
The 4s is a very good phone, still has good speed even on iOS 8. I do mis LTE but soon i can start using my 6Plus

Hoppimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Kent, UK
Thanks, dudes!

I think anyone buying a premium phone will lives theirs whether it is an iphone or Samsung.

Congrats on your new phone.

Thanks, but to be honest... I had 3 very reasonable Android phones but never found any as premium, fast, refined and low on bugs as this now 3 year old iPhone!

Jailbreak.

Install tweaks and apps that you wish from Cydia.

7.1.2 is still jailbreakable via the Pangu jailbreak.

I guess, I just feel a bit uneasy about that is all!

Plus I mean hey the main app was Grooveshark anyway, and I think I'm OK with Spotify :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I guess, I just feel a bit uneasy about that is all!
Why?

If the concern is security or bricking your phone those are really nothing to be concerned about. If the concern is over pirating, well, that's always something that's there but just because someone jailbreaks does not mean they are doing it to pirate anything.

I jailbreak because I want certain things Apple won't give me. Quick Reply, Quick Compose from the lockscreen. Calls made from the lockscreen, theming the OS. Lots of other stuff as well.

Jailbreaking is nothing to be concerned over.

wakadango

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Plus I mean hey the main app was Grooveshark anyway, and I think I'm OK with Spotify :)

I suggest you create a home screen shortcut to the HTML version of Grooveshark (go to grooveshark.com within Safari). Not as polished as the app, but it gets the job done.

Hoppimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Kent, UK
For jailbreaking and Grooveshark - crazy thing is I think that it costs £5.50 a month for GS Mobile now and £10 a month for Spotify!

So there isn't THAT much in it so I figure I may as well save the hassle of jailbreaking and give a lil back to the music industry by using Spotify. Either that or use the mobile website as you say wakadango, which I think is still free...

Hoppimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Kent, UK
Congrats. 4S the best iPhone ever made.

Thanks!

Why would you say it's better than the 5 family though?

I feel like the 6 has its ups and downs, but the 5 family including iOS 7 were a big part of what pulled me over to Apple. I thought the 5S looked smooth and classy and the 5C I actually personally PREFERRED, because I like bright colours and a vibrant design, and the plastic doesn't bother me.

I'm just curious as to why the 4S can be seen as better?

I admit though I prefer the smaller size :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.