Using My iPad as My Main Musical Instrument

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 2A Batterie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Honestly, this is something that I seriously am considering as a professional musician. It's a bit of a paradigm shift, but I think it can work. Here's some musingson embracing those limitations and an experiment to see what kind of results I could get.

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

thats legit, i might try it out. would be convenient

i wish aturia, or some other synth/controller hybrid would come out with an app for the phone, soo instead of hooking up your synth to the computer/laptop... you can hook it up to your ipad/iphone and select your tones via that.

I bought an aturia analog experience hybrid a while back when i was just learning, before getting my Nord :)... and i absolutely love it. being able to have the moog sounds, jupiner etc. for a cheap price. I just hate having to use my laptop for that. I would rather use it to record the jam session, and use my mobile device for the sounds.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

It depends on what field of music you're in. For me, as a piano player, the iPad won't ever replace the piano. But for content creation that's synth based, the iPad looks fantastic.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Great stuff. What is the percussion input pad? Is it wireless or USB through camera connection kit? What is the iPad app?

5. SlyMac macrumors 6502

THe only instrument the iPad can truly replace would be a synth type device like in your video. I don't care how good guitar apps get. It will never replace the real thing.

6. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

The percussion pad is a Roland SPD-S, although I did not use it in this video. You can see an example of me playing the SPD-S in this video.

All the sounds in the video were created from just a weight plate mic'd by a Shure SM57. The iPad is connected through the Alesis IO Dock, which takes the signal for the 57. The keyboard controller is hooked up to the IO dock via MIDI, and controllered the pitch of the signal from the weight plate being run through the Voice Synth app. The beat was created using Werkbench.

I imported the recorded video examples of Voice Synth and Werkbench via the camera connection kit and then mashed them up in the vjay app.

----------

I don't view the iPad as a replacement instrument. I view it as a new instrument with tons of potential.
    Stating than an iPad will never replace x or y instrument is like stating that a trombone will never replace a nylon string guitar. There is no one end all musical instrument; each serves a purpose. I think the important thing to focus on is playing music period. The road/instrument you take to get there doesn't matter or factor into your legitimacy. I've seen virtuosic performances from DJ's that are more skilled than many highly trained classicalm pianists. The area of discipline doesn't make the artist; it's the art that they make that counts.

7. MusicalTrixstar macrumors newbie

Playpad. A music stave instrument

Hi, just thougt I'd mention our 69p ipad app called 'playpad' which we've worked hard on.

It's a simple but effective concept in which you play tunes, chords or whatever you want in treble or bass clef on the musical stave and is great fun if not a little geeky!

Cool for learners and makes reading music more accessible. It'll be available on iPhone soon. http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/playpad/id551346686?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2 :)