Using my iPhone abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msjones, Apr 20, 2011.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I live in the UK and I am flying to Spain next week. I would like to use my iPhone abroad. However I would only like to use it to make calls and receive messages. My hotel has wifi for all my data needs.

This is the first time I will have used my iPhone abroad. I have roaming, 3g and cellular data disabled so my iPhone status bar looks like this:

[​IMG]

Will I be charged by Orange, my UK provider, for receiving signal to whichever network I pick up in Spain? I know all about my charges for SMS and Calls etc I just wasnt sure about charges being connected to another network.

Finally will I even be able to pick up another network with roaming disabled? I realise these are dumb questions, but its just something I would like to be sure of before I get a huge bill.

2. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

You wont be charged for simply being connected to the network or even receiving text messages.

You will be charged however for accepting (i.e answering - not rejecting) calls and for sending text messages.

You probably have 'Data Roaming' and 'Mobile Data' off - which will only stop the data, you will still be able to roam onto other networks for calls and texts.

Make sure that under settings > carrier, that it is set to automatic - this allows for roaming both at home and abroad.

May I also suggest you download Hullomail which is free, set this up and that way you can check voicemail for free over wifi when abroad.

3. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Thanks for that dude, good to know. Yeah I have disabled roaming & 3G for data, just wasnt sure if that would disable calls texts etc.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.