Using my iPhone in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kwerner2, Jun 10, 2011.

1. kwerner2 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I will be traveling to Canada next week (and I will only be there for 5 days) and I was wondering what I should do in regards to using my iPhone. I've heard about AT&T's Canada plan for around $5/month. Is that all I need to do to use my phone while in Canada and not receive any insane charges? What exactly does this plan entail (email, text, calls, etc.)?

Thanks!

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I can't really give you advice on the plan... But I literally just drove back across the border this morning so I thought it would post here. I was there for a week on a fly in fishing trip, and as soon as I crossed the border I left my phone in airplane mode to avoid charges. But most likely whatever plan att has will be like 50¢ per text, at least that's how it was when I was in Italy. I wouldn't recommend using any data otherwise your gonna have a huge charge... This is the text you get when your close to Canada's cell towers

Intl data rate of $15.36/MB applies. Domestic data rate does NOT apply in this location. Details: att.com/global AT&T Free Msg

3. Yansick macrumors newbie

You'll need a plan to cover your data and calling. If you're going for 5 days you can probably make do with the 20MB of international data plan for $24.99(if you don't add on international data plan, expect to pay around ~$20 per MB).

Calling will be either $.79 per min with a standard feature or $.59 per min with a discounted feature.

Text: standard is $.50 per message you send, any ones you receive will come off your domestic plan. The second option, global messaging 50: you get 50 messages to send, like the standard feature, any ones you receive will come off of your domestic plan. If you go over the 50, it's $.40 per message.