Using my iPhone4 Microsim with my unlocked 3GS for data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cameronjpu, Oct 24, 2010.

1. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

I've used this old 3GS while traveling overseas, so I know the hack is successful. Next week I will be traveling within the USA, but unsure whether I will have a wifi network to use for my laptop. My thought is, why can't I get one of those MicroSim adapters, and use the SIM from my iP4 in my 3GS? I have unlimited data on the SIM from the 4, which is nice. My primary need while on this trip will be data use, not phone, though I'd like to be able to swap back and forth. Is there any reason for me to think this will not work?

Also I plan to buy one of the nicer MicroSIM adapters, not one that requires me to use tape to hold things in place. Since I plan on swapping the SIM in and out of the phone pretty often, like more than once per day, I'd want that process to be as reliable as possible. Any tips on which device to use for that is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it should work!:cool: just be careful of those adapters, sometimes they are a little bit defective and might get stuck in the tray and might damage the connectors, so make sure you get a good one so you don't damage your 3GS...

4. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

I bought one on eBay straight out of Hong Kong for $2, free shipping. It's a simple piece of plastic but it fits the SIM tightly enough that it goes in smoothly.

I don't understand why you would want to surf on your 3GS when you have a 4, though. I use mine for my iPad SIM when carrying an iPad around would be obnoxious.

5. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

My 3GS is unlocked - I plan to use MyWi to create a wifi access point for my laptop, my iPad and my friend's iPhone to use.

6. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

You don't need to be unlocked, only jailbroken.

7. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah. Well, it's both, so I should be set :)