Using my laptop with itunes....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clg82, Jul 20, 2010.

1. clg82 macrumors 6502

I have my current iphone 4 synced up with itunes on my DESKtop....I would like to add itunes to my LAPtop, and get everything to transfer over to it. is this an easy thing to do or should I just stick with using the desktop for using and syncing my iphone?

2. celticpride678

You're going to have to transfer all of your music, movies, apps etc. and erase the iPhone and re-sync it... I don't think its worth it.

3. clg82 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking....I don't understand why they just don't have an option to resync everything without having to erase it.....sucks...

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Transfer all your media onto the laptop and authorise iTunes (so it can play any purchased media). You should then be able to sync as you normally would.

5. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

use homesharing to transfer your content. Then just resync ur phone with your laptop

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I do the same thing with my server. Sync to my server and would like to be able to sync to the iTunes on the Lappy as well. Apple unfortunately only allows device to sync to one account/location at a time, so if you decide to transfer to laptop it is full restore and transfer as prior user suggested. Now if you just want the music and data on the laptop, there is an easier way which is using the home sharing of iTunes. The downside of this is that is only works while on the same intranet network and not across the internet. I have this set up at home so all of my computers share the media from the server, and I don't have to waste storage space maintaining separate libraries and going through the hassle of making sure that each system is kept current with the latest media installed, it automatically is shared when I put it on the server. I can't wait for Apple to authorize the cloud sync and then I will be happy and not have to worry about the above issues and limitations.

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

It's a big pain to do but not impossible. There are third party utility programs that will help you move the music. Or you can just burn it on DVDs and do it yourself. Just have patience if you try.

8. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

This is the easiest way of doing it.

I believe the only issue will be that the data in those apps (game progress, stats,password storage apps, etc), will be lost and you will have to start all over.