Using my MBP as a wifi repeater?

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
There's only one tiny spot in my dorm room where I can get the campus wifi network. Is there any way I can set up my MBP to act as a repeater so other devices in my room can have wifi access?

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
Logically I don't think so. You use your airport to capture the wifi internet. So you cannot at the same time shar the same internet with it.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

Nope. You can share internet from ethernet to airport, but it can't act as a repeater.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
sharing your network connection would essentially do the same think as acting as a repeater. it would allow for a small boost in the signal to other computers.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Why can't the macbook pro create an ad-hoc network for nearby devices? I think it would work, but I'm ashamed to say that I wouldn't be able to read the procedure out for you.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
No...

sharing your network connection would essentially do the same think as acting as a repeater. it would allow for a small boost in the signal to other computers.
No, he's trying to take an existing wireless signal, pick it up via the airport card in his laptop and then broadcast it. That's not possible.

HOWEVER, if he as an ethernet jack in his room, he can hook his laptop up via ethernet, go to sys prefs>sharing>internet and create an ad hoc network for his other devices that SHOULD work, depending on the school's network settings.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
No, he's trying to take an existing wireless signal, pick it up via the airport card in his laptop and then broadcast it. That's not possible.

HOWEVER, if he as an ethernet jack in his room, he can hook his laptop up via ethernet, go to sys prefs>sharing>internet and create an ad hoc network for his other devices that SHOULD work, depending on the school's network settings.
no that is not correct. he CAN share the network signal from his computer to other computers. in network settings there is a tab that allows for sharing, which will not extend the network, but will share it to other computers close by (only macs??)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
No, you're wrong

no that is not correct. he CAN share the network signal from his computer to other computers. in network settings there is a tab that allows for sharing, which will not extend the network, but will share it to other computers close by (only macs??)
Dude, no. You can't both receive and broadcast using the same connection.

For instance, you can tether to a blackberry via Bluetooth, connect to the internet and share your connection to other computers via WiFi.

Or you could connect to the internet via WiFi and share it to other computers via ethernet.

But you CANNOT receive via WiFi and then "share" that WiFi connection. The sharing tab is sys prefs does NOT work like that.

Get it?

Pim

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Utrecht, The Netherlands
It would be, like, trying to plug two ethernet cables into one port.
Your Airport thingy in your MacBook only can recieve OR send, not both at the same time. If you really want to use it as a wireless repeater, I suggest you buy a wireless card you can stick into your MacBook (some you can even directly plug into you USB port like a memory stick).

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes!

It would be, like, trying to plug two ethernet cables into one port.
Your Airport thingy in your MacBook only can recieve OR send, not both at the same time. If you really want to use it as a wireless repeater, I suggest you buy a wireless card you can stick into your MacBook (some you can even directly plug into you USB port like a memory stick).

Yes! Finally.

Thanks for explaining it better.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I gotta say as someone who works on a large campus wireless/network be careful about doing something like this. It is most likely against the rules. Not to mention WEP isnt secure and the lag it would cause your system.

I would ask your campus network providers to see if they are saying its covered when its not. They might boost dbi for you guys.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
Dude, no. You can't both receive and broadcast using the same connection.

For instance, you can tether to a blackberry via Bluetooth, connect to the internet and share your connection to other computers via WiFi.

Or you could connect to the internet via WiFi and share it to other computers via ethernet.

But you CANNOT receive via WiFi and then "share" that WiFi connection. The sharing tab is sys prefs does NOT work like that.

Get it?
ethernet port it is :p or he could get a secondary wifi card and then share it!!

ishayan

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
You can install windows on your macbook and repeat your wifi through programs like connectify or mhotspot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.