Using my MBP to control my iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UberMac, Oct 17, 2010.

1. UberMac macrumors 6502

Now, obviously I can use VNC, and I do...but let me explain.

I'm back at university this year and I've brought my iMac with me as well as my MacBook Pro. I have my MBP on one side of my desk and the iMac next to it. What I'd like to be able to do is move my mouse (using my MBP) onto the iMac screen and control it and use my MBP keyboard to enter data into it. I've tried Screenrecycler which allows me to use the iMac as a secondary screen to my MBP but the lag just isn't good enough to work with on a daily basis. I want the iMac to be it's own machine doing it's own thing, just using the input of my MBP.

Any thoughts?!

Uber

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why are you not using the Share Screen feature in Snow Leopard? As long as you have a wireless connection it works perfectly.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean, "too much"? Too much what? And no, I'm not affiliated at all with TeamViewer. I just use it daily to support clients, with great results.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Too much for controlling another Mac on the same network right beside the controlling Mac. Teleport lets you use the same mouse and keyboard for many Macs on the same network, like one of those KVM switches I guess.

I'm not in form today, which seems to come from less postings I guess, but I can't help myself in that regard.

The part about TeamViewer was more meant Tongue In Cheek, as you recommend it quite often, though I do too, when the occasion arrises (because you recommended it and are not willing to post your recommendation just because you fell asleep again during the night).

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Danny Choo uses teleport. If it's good enough for him and his twenty macs, you'll probably like it as well.

[​IMG]

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use Synergy. You'll need to do a little manual set up, but it's multiplatform (works across Windows, OS X, and Linux) and it's free.

8. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502