Using my Nexus 4 in Italy

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jrswizzle, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I'll be travelling to Italy this summer and wanted to get opinions on the best options for using my Nexus 4 (bought from Google Play) in Italy. I understand there are 4 carriers there.....is there one that has a better prepaid option than the others?

2. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

I am italian but I have been abroad for quite a long time now. I try to give you some advice, but better double check.

As you pointed out, there are 4 major carriers: Vodafone, TIM, Wind and 3.
    -TIM has a ~100% coverage but it is bloody expensive
    -Vodafone used to be the best, but they increased the price plan for no reason. As far as I know, they have just launched a 12 euros/month plan (on top up, no contract) for unlimited SMS and 1 GB full speed internet, but you still have to pay for the calls
    -3 has the best plan out there, starting from as little as 4 euros. Network coverage is kinda poor and if you are roaming on other networks you have to pay extra (and the extra is quite a lot). If you are in a big city, then this would be the way to go
    -Wind used to be crap but now it is becoming the most appreciated network in Italy. Not the cheapest, but very fast internet and impressive network coverage. They now have a very intersiting offer, 300 minutes, 300 SMS and unlimited internet for 10 euros a month. I would strongly recommend this one.

Hope it helps

3. jrswizzle thread starter macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Awesome! Thank you for the info - I was hoping I'd be able to use the N4 on a prepaid sim in Italy when I got it. We will be in major cities most of the time, and I won't need to make a ton of calls. Will only be there for about 2 weeks, so if I can buy a SIM for 10 euros and be able to use it the entire time I'm there, that would be ideal.

Thanks again!