Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all,

I posted a thread in the general iphone board about using an iphone overseas in the most economical way. But I came here to ask a similar (but different question).

I'll be getting the iphone 4 on release day which will relegate my 3g to basically an ipod. The following week I will be leaving for Australia for about 10 days. Instead of dealing with all the international hoops from ATT to try and be able to use my iphone 4 without going broke (and surely failing miserably), what if I just set up my "old" 3g for international calling. Then I could just get a pay-as-you-go thing going on in Sydney for a few days and be set. Is that right?

A few questions... would i need to jailbreak and unlock the phone? Or can I just skip straight to the unlock? When I throw a new Australian pay-as-you-go type SIM card in the 3g, will I lose all my phone numbers/apps/music, etc... that is stored on the phone?

Jsut thinking this may be the easiest solution to my problem. Thoughts? Thanks!

-jon

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
I take it you are in US on AT&T.

You will have to jailbreak then unlock your 3g, see postings in the 'Hacks' section (depending on your firmware).

Don't know about the jailbreak/unlock for the 4G yet, some postings about this, again in the 'Hacks' section.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Yep, thanks for the info! I'm in the US... and am just trying to figure out how to save a few bucks!

I'll look into the unlock. My basic understanding though is that if I am on the most current firmware I probably wont be able to. I'll have to read a lot more.

Thanks! Anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.