Using my old PB HD in my MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by musicdan, Jan 12, 2011.

1. musicdan macrumors newbie

I have an old PowerBook from which I removed the HD. I need to access the information that's in it, my PB died. I got an enclosure for it, plugged it in to my MacBook and iMac but it won't show up. If I go to disk utilities it is present. What can I do to get my files?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. musicdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the promptness, I will get that info asap.

4. musicdan thread starter macrumors newbie

5. musicdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Just posting to move it back up on the ladder...:D

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

7. musicdan thread starter macrumors newbie

The gsod, lol. I don't know if that's what you call it.

It was a gray screen with vertical stripes if I remember correctly. It was a long time ago, back in '08 when it died.

If I press initialize, will it wipe the drive?

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I suppose the cause of death may have been related to the hard drive not being readable. It could be that the data on the hard drive is corrupt or it's even possible that it's dead.

From your screenshot it looks like the hard drive itself is mounting but the disk3s3 partition isn't mounting. If you select the disk3s3 partition, can you then click the Mount button at the top? Can you select the hard drive itself and run Repair Disk on it?

Can you try the external with another Mac? It's also possible that the enclosure or the cable could be defective.

As to your question, yes, initializing a hard drive erases and formats it, so only do it if you don't care about what's on it.