Using my older serial printer with new Mac?

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Can I connect my old laserjet that connected to my old pre OSX/usb/firwire computers using the mac serial/printer port?

Is there some kind of adapter for that?

However, I think I may be outta luck as far as hooking up my old scsi scanner (umax powerlook), yeah?

smythey

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
Can I connect my old laserjet that connected to my old pre OSX/usb/firwire computers using the mac serial/printer port?

Is there some kind of adapter for that?

However, I think I may be outta luck as far as hooking up my old scsi scanner (umax powerlook), yeah?

Something like this?

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007

Hmmmm, these products seem to use the centronics port in the printer. I never used that myself. I always used the little mac serial printer/modem ports style connection on my old desktops to hook up the printer. I think the HP 6MP has a centronics port...I just never hooked it up that way.

I would think theres ones that use the mac serial port connection rather than the centronics... (probably makes no difference)

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Ahhh, yes. I didn't count on drivers. I just use the generic laserwriter driver that comes with OS8-9 that I use.

On the other hand, I need a new toner cartridge and I see that you can get a B&W laser printer for less than $300 nowadays. Heck even color lasers are pretty cheap.
But thats what they do.....the printer is 'free', but the cartridges will set you back 500 bucks!:eek: